Hurricane season runs from June 1 through November 30. Follow these key steps to be sure you, your family and your business are ready in the event a destructive storm heads for our shores.
MAKE A PLAN
Where will you go? What evacuation route will you take? What supplies, medications, and documents will you need? It's important to sort all of these details out well before a storm approaches.
Create a plan for you, your family and your business.
- Helpful tools, including a checklist to guide you through the process, can be found on the Florida Division of Emergency Management's website.
BUILD A KIT
Your kit should contain enough food, water and medications to support yourself and your family for at least 3 days. If you have pets, include supplies for their needs as well.
- Visit the City of Melbourne’s website home page for city updates during an emergency.
- You can also get updates on the city's Facebook and Twitter pages.
- Sign up for Code Red to receive emergency notices via phone, cell phone, text, or e-mail regarding the city's water service and precautionary boil water alerts.
- To sign up online: melbourneflorida.org/code-red.
- If you cannot register online, call (321) 608-5080.
Brevard County Emergency Preparedness Guide includes information about Brevard County evacuation routes, shelters, and important phone numbers.
- 2-1-1 Brevard provides information and assistance in times of emotional, financial and community crisis day-to-day and before, during and after a disaster. 2-1-1 is an easy-to-remember number and provides access to trained specialists around the clock – 24-hours a day, 365 days a year
OTHER HELPFUL RESOURCES
Federal website providing helpful information about hurricanes and what do to before during and after a storm.
National Hurricane Center
National site providing storm tracking & forecasts.
Florida Division of Emergency Management
State agency that plans for and responds to both natural and man-made disasters.